Saturday, October 3, 2015

9/28 Another Good Week

     So here's your funny Hispanic fact of the day. Columbians and some Salvadorians will point with their face rather than their fingers. They raise their eyebrows and stick out their lips at whatever they're pointing at. Like if you ask who they want to say the prayer, they'll do that. I always laugh a little.
     One breakthrough I had (again) this week is that prayer is such a huge blessing! On Sundays, I like to sacrifice things (habits, un-Christ-like attributes, etc) while partaking of the Sacrament. I decided last Sunday to sacrifice my lazy prayers. All throughout the week, I prayed with much more sincerity and care. I seemed to be happier, and closer to the Lord as I felt His Spirit more strongly. I'll continue working for that.
     On that note, who's excited for General Conference?! ME! I'm so excited to see what happens with all the new callings, seeing as we're down 3 good men. I invite you all to open your heart and minds as you go into watching the sessions.
     Last Monday, Elder Sharp told me I was giving a presentation on how to have faith to find people for the District Meeting the next day. I went about 20 out of 15 minutes, and really enjoyed it. I'm starting to like public speaking, which is a first. I came to the conclusion that we all have the faith; it just needs to be recognized and acted upon. That being said, we found about 5 new people this week; I'll let you know how it goes.
     Alfredo is progressing along nicely. We hope to go to the temple with him in a couple weekends. He had to work yesterday, unfortunately, so he didn't receive the priesthood. However, Jorge, the sisters' guy who I baptized, asked me to ordain him, so I got to do that for the first time. That was something special. I love Jorge; he's such a stud! 
     So there's this Hispanic dish called mole (pronounced Moh-leh) that I generally am not a big fan of. It's this black sauce made with burnt tortillas over chicken eaten with tortillas. We had some on Wednesday that was super good! The quality of food really depends on who cooks it. You can usually rely on people who have given you good food, but every now and then, you get surprised with something nearly un-stomachable. But fortunately, I'm good at eating...that's also unfortunate haha. We've gotta step up the exercises to make up.
     On Friday night, I went on exchanges with a Tongan elder  named Elder Heitonga. He is my height, but he's the most ripped person I've ever met in person. His stomach is tiny, and his arms and chest are gigantic! We had an intense hour and a half work out in the morning. Yeah, he's serious. It was a fun exchange. It was actually part of my old area from back when I was in Galveston, but it was in English, so we didn't see any of the same people. He's a goof ball, though. He learned all of his English on the mission, seeing as he came right from Tonga. 
     I know that this work is the work of the Lord. There are so many people that give up so much to come on missions. I've been given so much to help me get here, and I'm so grateful. I know that whoever is reading this has helped me on my journey, and I say thank you to each of you. I love you all. Have a fantastic week full of inspiration!

-Elder Spjute
     

No comments:

Post a Comment