Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A good week.



     Hello everyone! I hope y'all's week was awesome. I've been bearing the heat with a smile and a bike helmet. We've been biking so dang much lately haha. It's definitely a growing experience. The sweat is almost humbling. As in it would be, if I wasn't used to a lifetime of that haha. On Wednesday, we probably biked around 30 miles. Intense! 
     This Monday was kind of a tough day. After P-Day, we went to visit Alejandro, who had an evangelical or Pentecostal friend over who just tried to bash on Joseph Smith. Woo. He texted us later that night saying he wasn't going to come to church anymore, but felt better in the Pentecostal. Also he told us he didn't need us to come over anymore. Lame! We pretty much let him go for a while.
     Then, on Wednesday, we texted the nightly scripture to a group on our phone, which we hadn't removed him off of yet. He responded in English, "Who's this?" He'd erased us! Then he proceeded to say in English, "I thought I told you I didn't want to hear from you any more remember?" Then he went on accusing us of racism and not respecting him as a friend. All the while, I was sure it was the lady from Monday, so I said to give him his phone back. He called and chewed me out for not knowing he spoke English as well as he did. I convinced him we want to be his friends, and keep talking about the gospel, but he said not if we used the Book of Mormon. He only wants to hear the Bible. He could use some heart-softening prayers.
     The next morning, there was a service project that the whole district of missionaries went to, and I was still in a poor mood. I didn't sleep well, and was just super bummed out. The power of service of the fellow-man cheered me up so well though :) Love it! 
     I got to give a 9 year old kid named Jesus a baptismal interview. He totally should have been baptized this week, but there was no building to do it in, and they really want his dad to be worthy to baptize him. He needs to stop drinking coffee. But the interview went really well. He was a cool kid. 
     On Saturday, Elder Huaraca went on splits with Elder McKinley to go to a baptism for a person they both taught. I stayed in Elder Mehew's area, and we walked due to lack of functioning bicycles and member transportation. Walking is hard!!! Man, you get sore fast! It was a good/humbling experience. We met this 17 year old and started teaching her. Before we left, I said (in Spanish), "just remember that my name's Elder, and his name's Elder." She replied, "Son gemelos?" Yes. Yes, we're twins... Elder Mehew was like, "same mom, different dads." ... "oh." Man, Hispanics always think Elder means we're brothers. Our last names are different! Too funny.
     Well, I hope you all have a great week. I love you all tons, and am grateful for your support! The church is true!

-Elder Spjute
      

No comments:

Post a Comment