Monday, March 30, 2015

Gift of Tongues

Hola! So as you all heard from last week, my beloved Elder Figueroa left; to Richmond. Now, I have a companion from Peru named Elder Huaraca (wah-rock'-uh). He's super cool, and also the reason for the title of the email. We pretty much only talk in Spanish. I definitely am getting grace for this one; no way I could do this by myself! He's funny though. We have a good time. Last night, we were talking in English for one of the first times before bed, and man it was just funny. He's been picking it up slowly, but has only been in the states a grand total of 9 months.
     Elder Huaraca eats much more spicey stuff than Elder Figueroa did; he doesn't like it much, but handles it about like me: not too bad. Elder Figueroa and I were eating some spicey shrimp cocktail on Monday, and I was the only one in the room of Mexicans not sweating, with the exception of the mom that made it. Pretty funny. Elder Huaraca and I ate some chile pequines on Saturday. Those were intense. Hotter than jalapeƱos, but cooler than habaneros.  
     So transfers were on Wednesday. Everyone was thinking either I, or Elder Steed in our district would get put as District Leader because our last one went home. Elder Steed hadn't been DL yet either. Long story short, President Ashton called me Wednesday morning and told me I was going to be DL. I'm super excited. The district is really cool! Elder Steed got put straight as Zone Leader! That was a surprise. Good for him :)
     I feel like my prayers have been slowly improving too. This has been a bit of a challenge for me; trying not to be repetitive, and trying to actually communicate. I always slip into Spanish and back in my personal prayers. I'm hoping for some really good suggestions for how to improve them more during conference!
     This Saturday was really fun. We were doing studies, then Elder McKinley and Mehew from the district called to remind us of a soccer activity going on from 10 to 2. We got permission to go, picked them up, and played from 10:40-1:00. Man, did I get sunburnt haha. I was wearing a hat, though, so I have about an inch under my hair of whiteness. Pretty funny. The soccer was more fun than I thought it would be :) I had a really good time. My back and legs are sufficiently sore though haha.
     I talked on the phone with Alejandro for about 15 minutes on Saturday. That was fun. He's such a stud. And man, he's funny. He's a gym fanatic. He's all, "better I go to the beach with my shirt off and people want my body than if all they want is my truck. You have to work for a body, you can just buy a truck." He makes me laugh. We also decided he'd come out with us to preach on horseback, riding a donkey like Jesus did, or riding ostriches. Oh yeah!
     He got confirmed in church yesterday. He was super embarrassed to go up in front of everyone, but afterwards, I even got him to bear his testimony with me! It was a really cool spiritual experience. He'll be a great member.
     Well folks, that's all for this week. Have a good one, and know that I love you, and the gospel is true!
 
-Elder Spjute
Hindu temple we visited last week

Elder Huaraca

No comments:

Post a Comment