Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Whoa, what a week!

Yeah, it was a little crazy this week! We got transfer calls this morning. Elder Figueroa is going to leave this Wednesday
. Such a bummer! We'll find out who I get this Wednesday. I'm betting it's Elder Sharp from the MTC. We'll see!
     So Tuesday night, I learned a very valuable lesson. It got warm; maybe 80 degrees or so. We were biking for about 2 hours, and I didn't drink much water. That was also after some extra exercise to get some time with an investigator. Oh man, the force of dehydration is strong! We got to dinner at Hna Garcia's (always feeds us a ton), and ate a ton and had a bunch of lemonade. After that, we both felt really nauseous. Elder Figueroa's went away after a while, but I spent a really bad night. I ended up getting like 4 hours of sleep and was really cruddy in the morning. We've been drinking so much water since haha. The next day, the mission health lady told me to drink Gatorade and take car of myself. I was super weak all day, but got a couple much needed naps. Don't worry, it was still rule-abiding.
     On Thursday, we had a really good experience with Hna Garcia just telling us stories. I'm convinced she's one of the most incredible people I know. I love her so much. She told us about helping and feeding tons of people in her house in El Salvador during a hurricane. Also housing a bunch of soldiers during a civil war there. She was spiritually sensitive enough to get the prompting to take her family and leave the house though; if they had stayed, they would have died. She's seen some crazy stuff. She told of facing robbers in her house and how her quick thinking kept them out. They blocked the doors and windows with bags of beans and rice. She talked about being a maid for a lady who was into drinking and other bad stuff. She pretty much converted her with her good example, and she would have gotten baptized, but got cancer and died. Her neighbor that walks by with beer pretty much daily, always hides it from her, because of how much he respects her after she explained to him what it was doing to his life. She's just so full of love! She may or may not have brought me to tears a time or two. Now you know a little of how amazing this woman is!
     On Friday, I woke up with something stuck behind my eye. I tried flushing it out a few times, but it didn't come out 'til the end of the day. I could barely open my eye the whole day, and it was super red. Everyone who saw me without sunglasses asked what happened. It was always tearing up, or just hurting and being sensitive. And driving was... interesting. I'm still alive, I'll say that much. It was better by the next day, but gees.
     On Saturday, it rained like crazy! At one point, we got out of the car and onto the bikes. We were biking for about a minute, when we decided it wasn't worth it and biked back to the car. So much rain!
     We also got a baptism yesterday! It was Alejandro, who we've been working with a few weeks. He's just a stud! On Saturday, Elder Figueroa called to see if we could go teach him and he said he was playing video games, so no. Elder Figueroa asked, "Fifa?" (a soccer game). I said, "you racist!" We both giggled. And he was totally playing Fifa! That's just what Mexicans play! We got a good chuckle.
     We were so worried he wouldn't come to church yesterday. He showed up right as I was giving up hope! Also, Sister Price and I (and sis Goodey on piano) did really well singing Cuan Grande Sera Tu Gozo, our musical number in sacrament meeting. Then, they surprised us during the baptismal service later that night, and said we were singing then too. We improved a Spanish rendition of I Need Thee Every Hour. It went really well. The service was really nice! Our ward mission leader baptized him, and it was perfect! We got about 40 people there, and were only expecting like 20. This was especially exciting because the building it was in was like 40 minutes away from most of them. I love this ward!
     I'm super excited to stay here with my Missouri City ward, but I'll miss my chavo, Elder Figueroa. Here's hoping I get a stud this Wednesday! The church is true. Jesus is our Savior, and I love him with all my heart. I love you all as well!

-Elder Spjute

No comments:

Post a Comment