Monday, February 9, 2015

Feb 2nd letter- One week of growing, down



     Well don't let the subject ^ fool ya, I'm still having a great time on the mission, but I've been put up against some struggles this week. But I'm still doing well, Elder Figueroa and I are still funny, and the church is still true, so it's all great! 
     I learned this week that colds are racist. Haha Elder Figueroa caught his cold last week from a Hispanic family, but I never got it. And their mom never got it because she's white. Bishop Martin (a gringo) is married to a Guatemalan, and they don't catch each others' colds. But their kids get both of theirs haha. It's funny.
     On Wednesday, we had an interesting day. We got interrogated by a 7 year old on her front steps about what we were going to teach them (Plan of Salvation). She asked, "people die in all different ways, so what's God's plan for them?"...let me remind you she's 7! We just explained the Plan in a couple easy sentences. Kinda funny and cute.
     Later that night, we met one of the most interesting guys ever, named Poncho (Alfonso). He told us his whole life story. He crossed the big river to get into the states... pretty common. He used to be a drug dealer. Once, he got into a gang fight, and got shot three times. He showed us the wounds in his leg (which broke his femur, by the way), his stomach, and the back of his head! Before he blacked out, he shot and killed three people! He woke up in a morgue after having been dead for 6 hours! how crazy is that! His memory is pretty slow now, but he seems sincere and repentant. He came to church yesterday, and loved it!
     On Thursday, we got a call saying we had a re-baptism that needed to happen in our area because the records got lost. We got so excited! This would have helped for our goal of 60 baptisms. Long story short, it didn't work out, and we were bummed. We unfortunately did not reach our goal of 60 baptisms, but got to 46. We have changed the number to 50 for February, and I ask your help in praying for it. Thank you so much!
    We went to a hospital this week to give a blessing to President Portillo's (our stake president's) wife. She has had cancer for the past 20 years, and it hit really hard a few days ago, and she's been hospitalized. She probably doesn't have too long left. After seeing how much pain her husband was in over it, we broke down pretty hard. I made Elder Figueroa give the blessing haha because Bishop Martin and I would have been too blubbery. They are a wonderful family, and it's sad that they have to go through what they are. I'm so glad I know how our Heavenly Father's eternal plan works. He is awesome!
      I have a really good friend from Galveston, Elder Johnson, who is going home in a week, and I'm a little bummed that I won't get to see him. It's crazy, when I got here, he was barely an old missionary! Time is flyin'!
     I know the church is true, and this mission is changing me bit by bit. I love you all so much! Have a wonderful week!

-Elder Spjute

No comments:

Post a Comment