Monday, January 5, 2015

Hello Missouri City!

Well that was tough saying some goodbyes to people. I didn't like that part of it one bit. Especially saying goodbye to Elders LeBlanc and Johnson. Man, I was almost bawling. That was also lame because I'd caught a nasty cold. It's been bad for about a week, but I think I'm breaking out of it today. But now on to bigger and better things! I'm now in Missouri City. My address for those interested is 6303 Sienna Ranch Rd. #3210 Missouri City, TX. 77459. This has to be like one of the richest places in Texas. Even my apartment is like a castle :D We have a washer and dryer and a super nice bathtub and all the closet and cupboard space you'd ever need! It is so nice. I'm companions with Elder Figueroa. He's from American Fork Utah (my fifth of five companions from Utah). He and I laugh so dang much!
     We make a lot of fun of our district leader, Elder Whicker, because he's a hint self-righteous (don't worry, we still love him ;). For example, we call him Elder  Whittacre a lot. I texted that to him one night, and Elder Figueroa and I about split our sides. We're so funny haha. Our area is really big. Not as huge as Galveston, but more spread out. We're still getting to know the area, and thus have already gone through about 200 of our 1000 miles for the car for the month. We'll be biking a lot.
     This is about the oposite of Galveston, though. We have a big ward with like 80 people showing up at church on Sundays. Our bishop is incredible! So spiritual and missionary-minded. Our Ward Mission Leader is also incredible. He was baptized just over a year ago, and hasn't been to the temple yet, so hopefully, we'll be able to do that with him! Everyone's last name here is either Martinez, Garcia, or Rodriguez. I love it here so much! There are so many great members who are very willing to participate.
     So we're opening up an area that was closed and dispersed out to other missionaries a transfer ago. This is a bit of a confusion; it means we have to find all the records and go through pretty much everyone to find out who to work with. Nonetheless, it's a great exercise of faith and work ethic. Elder Figueroa and I are so excited to be here. There was a baptism last night of a guy who'd been investigating for about 20 years, and there were about 70 people at his baptism. The spirit was so strong! That's the best baptism I've ever seen!
     There are a lot of different nationalities here. In Galveston, it was mostly Mexicans with one or two Salvadoranians and one or two Honduranians. But there's more of everything here. On Saturday, we went to a dinner party with four couples. Ex-bishop Martinez and his wife, Javier and Jessica Garcia (they're young and awesome; she's the ward chorister and told me to prepare to do solos haha), Hno and Hna Rodriguez (just plain cool), and it was at Hno and Hna Santillan's [Sawnteeyan] (from Argentina) house. It was so much fun! We had a ton of delicious food! They were all so loud, and laughed a ton, and it was just an amazingly fun night. I'm glad they felt comfortable enough to let us be part of that.
     So don't feel bad for me; I'm in paradise for now ;) This transfer so far is the funnest thing ever, and that's with being sick! I am praying I'll be with Elder Figueroa for a few more transfers. Once again, I ask for your prayers to help us achieve 60 baptisms for the month of January. I love you all!  Thanks for all you do!

-Elder Spjute
    

No comments:

Post a Comment