Monday, July 20, 2015

Great Week! (Letter from 7/13)

     I love being a missionary. It is such an awesome experience and opportunity to grow. I want you all to know that I am exactly where I need to be and doing what I need to do. My testimony has gotten so much stronger in the year being out! I'm making such good memories, and getting to know my Savior.
     I heard this Saturday that my first convert, Guadalupe Cisneros passed away. That broke my heart for a bit. Her age just caught up to her. She is loved, and will be missed. I'm glad I've got such great friends/brothers in my apartment to help cheer me up. It's a great place.
     On Tuesday, we went to Galveston for a Zone meeting. It was so weird driving there! I remembered how to get everywhere still, after not having been there for six months. It was kind of a depressing meeting. Our Zone isn't the most faithful. We were trying to set a goal for the number of baptisms the Lord wants us to achieve this moth, and it was like pulling teeth to get it up to a reasonably challenging number. Kinda disturbing. 
     Later that night, we all got tased by Elder Sharp's taser. It was fun. Definitely exciting. Didn't hurt too bad. Elder Mota and I discovered you can plug it into the wall and charge it. We tased Elder Sharp afterwards, and there was a considerable difference haha.
     We've been biking a lot in the area this week. It's been in the mid 90's, and is always around 100% humidity. Not kidding. It's intense! I never thought I'd enjoy biking just because it's so hot, and we get so sweaty, but it's actually something I've gotten used to, and then started liking. I'll kind of miss it when I get home haha. 
     It's been a great experience, though. We've found some really cool people, and some that are pretty promising (which is good because our investigators aren't really doing anything). People get a good impression of the missionaries if we can help them with service as we're contacting them. We met a guy named Andres, who we talked to about the Restoration and a bit of the Plan of Salvation as we helped him dig out the weeds and grass around his driveway. He's a super cool guy and asked us to come back this week. I love having a companion that talks to everyone. It's a blessing to me. 
     We had an exchange with Zone Leader Elder Goodrich this week. His companion, Elder Heitonga (a huge Tongan), went with the other Texas City missionaries. While we were dropping him off, his companion took a while to get there, and we'd just come from playing soccer with the branch, so we were in work out clothes. Elder Mota and I decided to try practicing backflips. He's a former gymnast, so he knows how, and can do them. (Side note: backflip in Spanish is called a 'mortal' because you have to do it well, or... yeah.) He pretty much helped me rotate all the way. I only tried a few times. I should be able to do it this week without his help. 
     All is going well in the land of Houston. I love it, and love you all. Have a wonderful week!

-Elder Spjute
     

No comments:

Post a Comment