Monday, November 10, 2014

The Weekly Report

     Hey everyone! So finally, the weather here is getting nicer. I wore a long-sleeved all day this week, and didn't sweat too much. It was still hot enough on Saturday to get a mosquito bite, which has never happened to me in November before. 
     So last Monday, after P-Day, we had dinner with this guy named Mark and his wife (courtesy of/ dinner with the English elders). They liked to kinda try to tell us why we are wrong, but they were still the nicest people! That was the first time I've had a good, home-cooked, American meal in so long! They prayed for our eyes to be opened haha. After all of that, we went to Houston for a mission temple trip. There were about 50 missionaries there; they're sending everyone through in parts. 
     The drive was awesome! I can't explain how funny the English elders are. Man, I love them. We got there pretty late that night. And we stayed with... get this... Elder Evan Huntsman, who went to Borah with me. He was a senior my sophomore year, and in my seminary class. That was pretty cool. We woke up at like 4:30 the next morning to go to the temple.
     I wish I could say this was my best time at the temple, but I was struggling with my patience. Let me explain. I had a wonderful time, and the Spirit was very strong. However, I wasn't receiving the revelation I thought I needed in the way I wanted. I learned humility this temple trip. It actually hit pretty hard. I love it!
     So lemme tell you about this weekend in Galvy. There was a festival called the Biker Rally. From Thursday night through Sunday, about 400,000 motorcycles came through. It was crazy! There were a lot of crazy stories. For example, a woman from a strip club got abducted. A couple people died at one point. The sister missionaries had to go home at about5:00 because they were too scared to ride bikes, and were being offered beer and to be taken home. Elder Rockhill and I were offered to be flashed. Yeah, it was a different weekend. 
     I wish I cared about motorcycles though haha. Elder Rockhill had a great time because he knows a lot about them, and grew up on them. He also knows a ton about cars. He can talk to anyone for a long time about cars because he knows what's in them, he knows what model is which, and he actually cares. I have like no car experience, so that really takes me out of the conversation. I wish I were more of an interesting person before my mission. All I really had going for me was choir/ music stuff. Elder Rockhill did like everything you can think of to talk about. It is really a plus. I told him I might steal some of his stories haha. 
     The work is a little slow right now. We're really trying to get this awesome 19 year old kid named Orbit on a mission. He's been praying about it. He needs to get active first haha. 
     After church yesterday, we had dinner at the Rabago's house (which we do every Sunday), and that was, as usual, fantastic. Afterwards, Elder Johnson and I gave the lesson. We watched a mormon message video about a guy who lost his whole family in a car accident. His faith and hope in God were truly incredible. After watching it, I shared the story of my Uncle Mark's family. I shared it from my cousin Greg's perspective. He lost his sister while they were both on missions, and his mom got cancer. He was given the option to return home twice, but stayed out with faith. I was crying the whole time I was sharing this... as was most everyone else. I am truly impressed by the faith of others. I know that Christ has suffered all our pains for us. I love my Savior, and know we can turn to him in our time of need. I love you all, and bear my testimony and witness that what I share is true. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

-Elder Spjute

No comments:

Post a Comment