Monday, February 1, 2016

Apostle!

  Well this was a big week! First things first, I love the family Olaya. They are Colombian and SO cool! They fed us 3 times this week! We went Monday for a family home evening, Tuesday because they signed up for it, and Friday because they were supposed to feed the other elders and they had to bail. Each time, they invited a less active friend or nonmember friend over. Such awesome missionaries! 
     As always, we are struggling with our investigators keeping commitments. Like Cupertino. He just doesn't
come to church! Ah! He's so close to taking off. Cleofas is doing great, and will NOT be moving yet :) Her new apartment is not ready, therefore, she will stay here for another month and be baptized here :D Yay! We found a less active family while going through the ward list. It turns out they want to come back, and have a 10 year old son that needs to be baptized. Blessings! One of the nights we ate with the Olayas, they had a nonmember neighbor over named Rocio. We've been visiting her a little bit, and she actually asked us where the church was without us bringing it up! And she's been praying after we taught her how. Good stuff!
     We had quarterly interviews with President Hall on Wednesday. They went really well. I feel like he paid much more attention to me than to what he wanted to talk about, or had planned for, That was very much appreciated. I feel good. I feel like I'm at my mission's prime. It was a positive interview, followed by a good District meeting. I put a focus on being Christlike and not talking bad about others (Alma 5:26,29-31). It really brought the Spirit well, I believe.
     Then, oh man, Elder Russel M. Nelson came to visit the mission! 
     On Wednesday, I got a text from Sis Mecham, the mission health lady who is always in charge of music stuff. She asked if I wanted to be in a musical group to do a number at the conference. Then she asked if I would take charge of the rehearsals because she left to New York. Oh man! I loved it! There were 6 elders singing (one of which was Elder Seal, who lives with me. I volunteered him haha), Hna Goodey on piano (I sang with her playing a ton in Missouri City), and Hna Hofheins on violin (she's in my district). We sang a song called Come Unto Christ (no, not the efy version, a better one). It was such a spiritual opportunity to sing in front of an Apostle! He even went in front of the pulpit to watch us. We practiced 2 days before he got here, then performed it on Saturday. Everyone there got to shake his hand. He pronounced my name right the first try!! No looks of confusion or anything! 
     His talk was incredible. He is such a spiritual giant. So humble. So funny. Just a good man. Wow. I was inspired. He had a big focus on family history, and working with members, and so much. ALL 3 Houston missions were there in our mission's biggest stake center. There were about 20 stake presidents and their wives, and the temple president and his wife. It was truly amazing.
     As you can read, I've been well spiritually fed. I love my mission. I love you all, and hope all is well. Have a wonderful week,

-Elder Spjute 

In the Office
These are from the zoo last week that we saw from that parking garage


This was Elders Romero, Favio, Milton, and me at Panda Express before I left.

The view from the top of that parking garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment