Monday, August 17, 2015

I Love Kemah (letter from 8/17)

     So things are all going well here! I'm a little behind on my journaling, and with how fast stuff goes, I'm gonna try to remember the good from the week. Bear with me! 
     On Monday, I was kinda having a rough day, and my companion is a stud. I'm not the kind of person that likes to take a lot of time for myself; he saw I was struggling, and we talked it out, made some changes in the companionship, and built up our relationship. I remember reading in a talk that the scripture that says roughly remembered, "if ye have not my Spirit, ye shall not teach." Shall not is commandment language. That means if the companionship isn't in tune with the Spirit, that's the first thing to do is fix it. That was a good experience. I feel like I say the word experience a lot. I have so many good experiences here!
     On Tuesday, we met a less active named Marvin. He's such a stud! He wants to come back to church and change his life around :) We hung out with him, and now he's a great friend. He'll start progressing soon. His dad is reactivating as well :) We made Marvin get Meet the Mormons; he just went and did it. Such a stud!
     On Tuesday, we ate with Hna Amezquita, and talked with her daughter who lost 40 pounds in the last 4 weeks. She just got a gastric sleeve, which cuts off access to most of her stomach. It's incredible! She looks so much better than when I got here :) So happy for her. 
     On Thursday, we went to Sugar Land to have a study with President with six or so other Zone Leaders to prepare us for Zone Conference this coming Wednesday. It was pretty cool. I have a much greater appreciation for the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ now. It is such and incredibly powerful message. We shared it in English (for possibly my first time) at a family's house who invited us to eat with them. It was a powerful spiritual experience. 
     On Fridays, we play soccer with everyone who wants to come; usually about 20 people. It's generally just fun and not that competitive. This Friday, Jorge, one of the sisters' investigators who will be baptized in 6 days, invited his team to come play. They. Were. SO. Good. It was them against our Kemah group, and we got our hinies handed to us. But we actually kept up way better than I thought we would. It was a lot of heavy action playing. Jorge was easily the best player. Pretty fun.
     We got frozen yogurt with Milton, one of the recent-sih converts. He's one of my best non-missionary friends on the mission. He's been struggling a lot with depression, and we just had a good chat. He wants to go on a mission, but things are crazy with his life and family right now. It is so much harder being illegal too. I feel bad for him. It will work out though!
     Last experience! We had a lesson with our investigator, Rony in the chapel. We took Jorge (soon to be baptized), and had a sweet Atonement lesson. The Spirit was so strong! He should be baptized the week after Jorge. And then Jorge right after asked me to baptize him, so that's a plus! That'll be my second time in the water. Stoked! 
     I've been growing in love and charity lately. I love Kemah so much, and I owe a lot of that love to Elder Mota. He was such a missionary convert. He started with big mission struggles, and now loves it and everyone in it. I love this gospel and my area more than ever. I'm so happy to be here. I love you all, and hope you have wonderful weeks!

-Elder Spjute
Me and Elder not-so-Sharp  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment