Sunday, August 30, 2015

Awesome Week (letter from 8/24)

     This was probably one of the fastest weeks of the mission. So crazy! It felt more productive, and just better! It didn't start off that awesome. P-Day last week was a bust. We drove to a stake center about 15 miles away, and no one showed up. Super lame. We realized that we are often really lonely just the two of us. We have no friend elders near by. That is a first in my mission. We were both just kind of sad. 
     On Tuesday, we talked to our branch president, Pres Allred. He's such a stud. He said that from his mission experience, that loneliness is preparing us for marriage haha. He helped us handle it well. I love that guy. 
     On Wednesday, and a few other days this week, we saw Alfredo, the former investigator we picked up the week before. He came to church, and has a baptsimal date for the 5th of September. He's kind of a different guy, but I feel like he could be really prepared! 
     We ate at Panda Express twice this week. Not our best health decision. But it was good :) The second time, Milton, one of my friends here from Guatemala, paid for the meal. He suffers hard-core with depression. It makes me so sad. He told us the only reason he hasn't killed himself is because he knows his mom in Guate needs his help. It's awful! We made him come play soccer with us that night. The branch was having the Friday soccer night like always, and he wasn't going to play because his knee was a little bad. I'm so glad he decided to play though. He had an awesome time. I really love him; it's such a cruddy situation.
     On Saturday, we had a lesson with Favio, my other Guatemalan friend (Milton's best friend). He and Milton are both members. In fact, Milton baptized Favio. So we're convincing Favio that he needs to go on a mission. he felt the Spirit so strongly when we talked about it. I got pretty excited.
     Yesterday was awesome as well. Alfredo came to church. He enjoyed it as well. Elder Sharp and I got to give the surprise Elders Quorum lesson on the Atonement with Elder Holland's talk from the April conference. It went really well.
     Then in the night time, the sisters had a baptism. It was a 18 year old guy named Jorge from Honduras. He's a stud as well. He asked me to baptize him :) Yes, it was awesome. That is my second time getting in the water! It was definitely a spiritual high. And Elder Evans came back to see that baptism. We sang Abide with Me 'Tis Eventide (in Spanish of course). Those singing were me, Elders Sharp, Evans, and Garcia (Evans' companion), and Hermanas McMullin, Hall, and Wood. It sounded SO good! Sounded like we'd actually practiced before ;D We all sang the melody the first verse, then without being told, a bunch of us broke off into harmony the second, third, and fourth verses. It was so cool :D 
     I know this church is true. I'm so happy to be a missionary and a servant of the Lord. I love this gospel and I live it. I invite you all to do the same. I love you all!

-Elder Spjute

No comments:

Post a Comment