Monday, September 22, 2014

Another One Down

This week has been pretty great! I've found myself facing more challenges than I have in the past whilst being here. But all things will be for my experience and benefit. Time is really starting to blur together again. I fear that it isn't going to stop for the next couple years. 
     My biggest struggle comes from the language. Not that I can't learn it, or feel inferior with it, but just the block from using it fluently. Kinda a funny complaint, right? Elder Rockhill has been here for about 4 transfers, so he is really good friends with everyone. That is awesome, but that means that I don't get to talk much in a lot of lessons. There have been a few times in which I've gone home disappointed in myself for not saying anything, and frustrated at him for not letting me. Then last night, at a family's house called the Luevano's, Hermano was making fun of me because I didn't know the language well. It was really discouraging. Those nights, I write quickly in my journal, then immediately begin supplicating myself to extreme prayer. I'm in too foul of a mood to talk to Elder Rockhill on those nights, so I try to talk and listen to the Lord. That works out better. Therefore, I have a strengthened testimony of the power of prayer. I felt an intense sense of peace come over me as my thoughts are purified, and I can return to the love of the mission that I desire.
     We had a new missionaries meeting in Sugar Land, 2 hours away, on Wednesday. That was pretty cool. I was feeling good about my Spanish that day (it really isn't too bad). President Ashton gave a big discussion on the Atonement. It pretty much blew my mind. I realized that I never fully understood the Atonement before my mission. The way that the mercy of Christ fulfills the requirements of justice on account of our repentance is fascinating and incredible. I have a greater love for my Savior. 
     I went on Exchanges with the world's most quiet and awkward elder, Elder Ormsby. I learned a lot about how to lead in an area, and in discussions. He didn't even speak Spanish, so that was ALL me! We ended up with 6 lessons, and one new baptismal date from the lady with the heart attack last week. Pretty cool! 
     We're struggling to get people to church. I thought missionary work was almost all about finding new investigators. WRONG! We have SO many inactive members. They take a lot of really hard work. Like I've said before, we get about 30 people in church. Always praying for them! 
     I am still, as ever, loving the work! I bore my testimony yesterday, under recommendation, for my third time in three weeks in front of the pulpit! I really love this gospel, and it's light and influence in my life. I love all the support I receive from everyone as well. I'll see y'all soon!

-Elder Spjute

No comments:

Post a Comment