Monday, September 8, 2014

2nd letter

    So I love being a missionary; just thought I'd get that out of the way. It is so great here! So, I need to do a brief cover of the last two weeks!
     Houston!!! After stepping off of the airplane (which was tiny, by the way), I was hit with a huge blast of American freedom and humidity. We met the president, who is amazing, and had dinner at his house. We went on runs that first day. For this, we go with a temporary companion and proselyte as much as we can; my Spanish is really good from what I hear! I've had very much Mexican food since I've been here. That's nice :) We are decent friends with an inactive member who owns a Cici's. We get free pizza like every week! We've been talking with the waitress there, so hopefully, we'll get a call from her. 
     I LOVE teaching! I love helping people; it feels so wonderful. Last week, we were teaching a woman for the first time in a trailer park, and I probably got 15 mosquito bites just in that lesson. But in the middle of this distress, she accepted a baptismal date! So cool! I haven't had one since I've been here yet, but we have a few baptisms coming up! Also, this isn't a tracting mission, We never knock doors, we go through members or we do OYM which is open your mouth to whoever you see :) It's kinda like running. We also teach early morning seminary occasionally. So.. early... we get up at like 4:25! Gross.
     I have an assignment for anyone with time on their hands. Listen to a talk called "God Science". It will blow your mind! Also, I've told a few people, but another great talk is "His Grace is Sufficient". So good! Also, if you have the time (trust me, I know that can be hard to find) our mission president tells us to have one 15 minute prayer a day. It is an AMAZING experience; one that I would highly recommend to all! Afterwards you feel so rejuvenated and also so exhausted. It is wonderful.
     My companion is a stud. His name is Elder Rockhill. He doesn't sing much, which is kinda sad. But he tries! He's 20, and has been out for almost 14 months. He was big into football in high school. I've enjoyed learning from him. He reminds me INCREDIBLY much of Preston. Like they're the same person. It's crazy. And great :)
     I can't decide which is a bigger challenge; the sweat, or the mosquitoes. We were in Texas City on Saturday, and got bit like 40 times each in the span of like 5 minutes. We were waiting around outside a guys house, and saw this big spider on a web, so we were feeding it mosquitoes that were biting us. It was fun; I'll have to send the video of it next week. But whenever we ride bikes (3 or 4 times a week), I just sweat buckets. I love the challenges though; they build character!
    I've been driving a little bit around here. It is cool. I don't know how fond I am of our Toyota, but it is interesting. There are some cool sights. Being on the island, there are a lot of cool boats we can see from the bridge from the mainland to Galveston. We aren't allowed to go on seawall street because it is like a raised wall of earth that blocks the beaches. It is convenient! The members here are all good at feeding us! The trick is, if you tell a Hispanic woman her food is the best you've ever had, they'll want to feed you again :) I need to learn how to make some foods though!
     I bore my testimony yesterday in our Spanish Branch. It was really special! I am so happy being here. I want to give a huge thank you to all who have made my service possible. Thank you to everyone who has helped support me with donations and love. I love you all so much! This gospel is true! It is my rock and my foundation. I know that all is well because I have my home built on gospel sod. Until next week, God be with you!

-Elder Spjute

No comments:

Post a Comment